OFFICIAL: KOEMAN TO STAY ON AS BARCELONA COACH.

Barcelona’s board have decided that Ronald Koeman will stay on as coach of the Catalan club. The Dutchman signed a two-year deal when he arrived in 2020, but the mixed results of the 2020/21 season meant there were reports of a possible dismissal. But, he will stay on for 2021/22.

Joan Laporta announced this development via the club’s official media, following a meeting on Thursday.

“After a period of reflection, we have decided to continue with the existing contract that Koeman has,” the president stated.

“We’re very satisfied with the conversations we have had. They were frank conversations and the coach’s behaviour was impeccable.

“We found solutions to any slight differences. We have thought about what was is best for Barcelona and we’re all happy to make this announcement.”

Asked if he’d have kept Koeman on had he not had a year left on his contract, Laporta insisted that this wasn’t a factor.

“The year remaining that he had was an independent thing and didn’t condition us,” Laporta said.

Koeman’s contract

Laporta revealed that Koeman’s agent expected some contractual matters to be discussed during this period of talks, but the president explained that making changes to the deal wasn’t necessary.

This means that there isn’t a pay cut for Koeman to stay, nor has the contract been extended by a year. That is something that had been reported by some as a possibility.

“For now, the previous contract continues,” the president said as he discussed the decision.

“We’ll have talks about everything else further down the line.

“He already made an effort last season and we haven’t contemplated [a pay cut] this time. He understands the club’s situation.

“Right now we’re focused on strengthening the squad and looking at the options we have, even in this difficult market.

“Koeman likes how we’re working in this respect.”